17 September 2026

One Short & Sweet Truth About the Status of Seniority

 Being senior in anything does not relieve you of responsibility for all of the skills of that endeavor, basic or advanced.  In fact, by virtue of how long you’ve been at that endeavor, you are expected to be the best at it.  This applies in every undertaking I’ve ever been involved in.[1]  Consequently, life does not have much in the way of “resting on your laurels.” 

                Thus:

                A senior pastor must bring their[2] most powerful,  most reflective or most inspiring message to their homilies every time.

                A senior paramedic must be able to start the IV in the sickest patient with collapsed veins, and they are expected to be on call for every arrest in the most remote and dangerous locations.  They are also expected to know, cold, all of the arrest protocols.

                The charge nurse in a hospital unit must be equal to or better than the rest in all patient care skills, even when they do not normally do much hands-on patient care.  (A dear friend who died way too soon was the senior charge nurse at an intensive care unit.  She motored around on a cart in her final days, and she was perfect and meticulous in her patient care.)

                A senior woodcrafter’s joints must be perfect.

                A senior lawyer must continue to supply the most compelling argument on behalf of their client.

                In other words, by their performance every day, to remain powerful and relevant, their performance alone must make others ignore their canes (Check!), stroke-induced speech impediments (Check!), the grey/white hair (Check! A trifecta!) and other reminders of their senior status.

                This applies to:

                Those who write for a living, for fun or (more importantly) as a passionate life-style.

                Those who personally counsel the troubled.

                All artists in all mediums.[3]

                Musicians, instrumental, singing or both.

                Cooks.

                Those who drive frequently.

                Well, heck, it applies to everything you do when you leave your bedroom in the morning.  Seniority gives you expectations, not rewards. 

                That may be sad.  But I think it’s true.

 



[1] In writing, it applies to things like grammar, e.g., not ending a sentence with a preposition such as I just did.  However, give me a break:  I didn’t know what else to end it with.

[2] Another grammar note:  English has no good or common gender-neutral reference.  “His or her” sounds contrived and artificial.  So I use the plural, in the hope that someone considerably smarter than I am will come up with a suitable replacement.  The same thing applies to “brother and sisters,” although I still use that in reference to the many who I do consider to be my brother or my sister, but I still have hopes in someone finding an equally sibling-esque substitute, without using “sibling,” which is equally contrived.  The long and hard-to-diagram sentences are, however, entirely my fault and my failing.  If it offends you, let me know and I’ll jump.  (Only from the first floor window, I’m really not THAT bothered.)

[3] Media?  Hmmm.

No comments: