07 February 2018

Lenten Meditation from WV Prayerscapes

Thursday, Feb. 22 
Read Genesis 17:1-7, 15-17 

From Roger Curry, Diaconal Minister, WV Region 

The text is about God’s call to Abraham to found the new nations of Israel. God doesn’t say please. He doesn’t say it will be difficult. God doesn't even supply details. He says do it, and Abraham does it. And from the “begats” thereafter, Abraham satisfied the full measure of the Lord’s command. The Father’s Son also was not real subtle. To Simon, later to be called Peter, he said come and I will make you - and 11 others - fishers of men. He didn’t mention that only one of the 12 would die in bed, one would suicide and the rest would be martyred because they believed in Him. God’s commands to us are fairly subtle, but He expects us to be equal to whatever task we are given. Johnny Cash sung a song about “talking to the Man from Galilee,” and his deep feeing “when He says John, go do my will!” 

How do we simple humans tell if we are ordered to do God’s will? I’m not smart enough to tell you definitely, but I have some clues. If God’s will is expressed with the words “hurt, hate, or take,” it’s doubtful that God is talking. But if it starts with “help, love, give,” more than likely, that’s the Voice of God calling. See, our God is a loving God. 

Father, please give me a hint when you’re calling on me to do something. And then I’ll do my level best to to it. Amen. 

Mizpah!